Winston Churchill was one of the most influential and impactful human beings of the 20th century. He was a British statesman, writer, and one of the world’s greatest orators ever. He served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, he led Britain to an allied victory over the Nazis in World War II.
The movie “Darkest Hour,” about his early days as Prime Minister when Nazi Germany was sweeping across Western Europe, was released last year and nominated for the Academy Award Best Picture this year.
The following quotations are among Churchill’s most memorable:
1. Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts.
2. Kites rise highest against the wind – not with it.
3. You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.
4. If you’re going through hell, keep going.
5. Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
6. Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking your potential.
7. We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
8. Never, never, never give up.
9. Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
10. To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
11. It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.
12. The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
13. Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
14. This is no time for ease and comfort. It’s time to dare and endure.
15. Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.
16. You can always count on Americans to do the right thing – after they’ve tried everything else.
17. Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.
18. I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat.
19. Sure I am of this, that you have only to endure to conquer.
20. A state of society where men cannot speak their minds cannot long endure.
21. It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all others that have been tried.
22. I never worry about action, but only inaction.
23. Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities. . . because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
24. To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless of a single day.
25. The power of man has grown in every sphere, except over himself.
26. My wife and I tried two or three times in the last 40 years to have breakfast together, but it was so disagreeable we had to stop.